DIY Flower Girl Pillowcase Dress

I need to start somewhere so I will begin with a post that I started awhile ago.  I got married July 2011.  We were on a very tight budget (about $2000) but I still wanted a fabulous wedding so I took on MANY (maybe too many) diy projects.  One project that I really enjoyed was making pillowcase dresses for the flower girls.

DIY Pillowcase Dress

The flower girls in my wedding were my 3-year-old twin nieces.  In an attempt to save money, I decided to sew their dresses myself.  I decided to stray from the traditional white flower girl dress and instead went with a cute, fun aqua polka dot fabric that matched the theme and colors of the wedding.

I found the fabric at Hobby Lobby for 50% off.  I think I paid about $3/yard (each dress requires about 1 yard of fabric).  Each dress also needed 2 yards of satin ribbon.

I found an excellent tutorial here.

This project was the first clothing item that I made all on my own so it requires very little skill.   Sewing the dresses following the tutorial was pretty straightforward.  I got stumped a little when I got to the armholes but finally figured it out after reading and re-reading the directions several times.  The dresses turned great!

Here is the final product:

Advertisements