DIY – Homemade Hard Floor Cleaner – Streak Free!

We have hard (vinyl/laminate) floors throughout most of our home. We also have four dogs… and a cat. Needless to say, there is A LOT of pet hair, dirt, dust, mud, etc. These floors get dirty and quick.
I have a Swiffer SweeperVac I run over the floor daily to pick up the loose dirt and hair. For messes or weekly mopping I use a Bona Hard Floor Cleaning Mop. It has a reusable microfiber pad that velcros on. Bona has a Hard Floor Cleaning spray but I find it rather expensive.
Then I stumbled on this homemade floor cleaner recipe. It is amazing! It is inexpensive to make, is made from common household products (you probably already have the ingredients), and it works great! Best of all, it is streak free. The alcohol evaporates really quickly and the vinegar’s smell disappears after just a short time.
Another benefit is that it doesn’t contain any toxic chemicals that could harm the babies or pets.

Homemade Floor Cleaner Recipe

  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup White Vinegar
  • 1 cup Alcohol (rubbing)
  • 2-3 drops Dish Soap
  • 10-15 drops Essential Oil (optional – I use 10 drops lemon, 5 drops lavender)

Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle.  To use, spray on floor and wipe with a microfiber cloth/mop.




DIY Project – Baby Barefoot Sandals

When I was pregnant, I started seeing these sandals in various places around the web.  To purchase them, I saw prices ranging from $8 – $25.  Even $8 seemed kind of high but they are just so dang cute.  But then, on Pinterest, I found this tutorial.  I followed it exactlly and the result was beautiful.  I can’t even believe how darling they are.  They were very simple to make and took very little time.  I think most of my time was spent on cutting the fabric.  Best of all, they were FREE to make!  I used an old tshirt that was waiting to be donated.  They are so soft and sweet and perfect for newborn feet.  Do you have any darling project ideas for baby girls?

REVIEW – Rit Color Remover

I have been experimenting recently with repurposing clothing that is old, faded, stained, or just doesn’t fit anymore.  I decided that I would try my hand at re-dying some clothing.  Without wanting to invest too much time or money and not really caring about the results (these clothing items were going to be donated/tossed anyway), I decided to go with Rit Dye that can be picked up at any grocery store.  While there, I discovered Rit Color Remover, which is used when dyeing fabric a lighter or different color.  I decided to give it a try.

I picked out my clothing items and followed the directions on the package and used the instructions here for using a HE (high efficiency) front loading washing machine.  I used 2 boxes of the Color Remover for my small load of laundry and I set my washer on Hot/Cold. I also used the longest wash cycle available. Here is a before picture of my clothing (I promise that as I get better at blogging, my photos will also get better):


The results were not as drastic as I had hoped.  The three pink items on the left of the “before” picture were lightened quite a bit, enough that I could easily change the color when re-dyeing.  The 4 items with patterns (on the left) were only lightened slightly (almost not enough to even be mentioned).  Here is the after picture:


My major success with this experiment was an unexpected one. The tank top at the bottom of both pictures is one of my favorites.  I thought I was going to have to trash it as it had a very large oily stain on it.  The Rit Color Remover did not remove the color but it did remove the stain!  Hooray!  Now, just because it didn’t remove the color on my printed fabric does not mean that it will not remove yours.  Only try it on fabric that you are ok with whatever result you get.

I will post my dyeing results on another day.

DIY Flower Girl Pillowcase Dress

I need to start somewhere so I will begin with a post that I started awhile ago.  I got married July 2011.  We were on a very tight budget (about $2000) but I still wanted a fabulous wedding so I took on MANY (maybe too many) diy projects.  One project that I really enjoyed was making pillowcase dresses for the flower girls.

DIY Pillowcase Dress

The flower girls in my wedding were my 3-year-old twin nieces.  In an attempt to save money, I decided to sew their dresses myself.  I decided to stray from the traditional white flower girl dress and instead went with a cute, fun aqua polka dot fabric that matched the theme and colors of the wedding.

I found the fabric at Hobby Lobby for 50% off.  I think I paid about $3/yard (each dress requires about 1 yard of fabric).  Each dress also needed 2 yards of satin ribbon.

I found an excellent tutorial here.

This project was the first clothing item that I made all on my own so it requires very little skill.   Sewing the dresses following the tutorial was pretty straightforward.  I got stumped a little when I got to the armholes but finally figured it out after reading and re-reading the directions several times.  The dresses turned great!

Here is the final product: